Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
heptagon
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?
Re: Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated
In reply to rtf, Mar 30, 2013

rtf wrote:

Hi everyone. Sorry if this seems a little off topic but your the people that directly fit my question.

I now have a medical issue with the nerves in my middle fingers of my left hand (due to broken fingers years ago). I have major problems using lenses much bigger than a 50mm (gutted). My doctor warned me ages ago that this would become an issue and advised me to downsize the weight and bulk of my camera gear. Yesterday I was taking images of a restaurant for a website, and after the tripod work I struggled to take handheld shots with the D800 + 105DC. So much so that I only felt comfortable using the 50mm handheld. The restaurant owner asked me if I would consider photographing his wedding which I declined because I cannot rely on good handling technique with my present gear. Very reluctantly, I have to seriously consider downsizing to micro four thirds, and I would like to know your honest opinions on whether you think in my position that you could swap to micro four thirds and adjust to the smaller system. I'm a pro and would like to remain one if I can. In recent times I have had lots of low res work (website images) so I know that I can live with a smaller sensor and make some money, but I'm a little disheartened at the moment. So my question is: Olympus, Fuji, or Panasonic?. I need portrait, wide-angle, and macro capability in that order of importance. I'm leaning towards Olympus. Your thoughts would be very appreciated.

Cheers.

RTF.

Portrait:

Smaller sensors are less capable of DoF control compared against fullframe. According to my calculations of the diameter of circle of confusion, in descending order of bokehliciousness:

M43 75mm f1.8 > APSC 50mm f1.8 > M43 45mm f1.8.

Keep in mind that the autofocusing speed of the SEL50F18 is slow. The Olympus 75mm f1.8 and  45mm f1.8 are probably two of the best lenses in M43 systems.

Wide-angle:

If you choose M43, you have the choice of 7-14mm, which is "equivalent" against the legendary Nikon 14-24mm. If you choose NEX, you have the 10-18mm, but I'm not sure if purple fringing has been fixed for the 24M pixel sensors or not.

Macro:

The M43 has the 60mm macro which is generally doing good, but the NEX system still lacks a usable macro (SEL30F35 is horrible).

Thus I would recommend you get an EM5 if not too heavy, or wait for the upcoming EP5 if it has EVF, or get the EPL5 if you can afford to give up EVF. Also you might consider getting a Sony RX1 to use alongside your M43 systems when you need low-light performance. You might also consider waiting for NEX-7N if you rely on heavy pp for your work - for me, the raw files from NEX-7 does provide a lot more room for pp than the EPL5 does. At this stage I do not recommend Panasonic bodies since the GH3 is heavy and other bodies are falling behind with under-performing sensors, unless you heavily rely on in-camera calibration of CA for lenses like 12-35mm f2.8.

Hope this helps.

heptagon's gear list:heptagon's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow