a99 HOT SHOE does not FIT Radio Trigger and Flashes

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,823Gear list
Like?
Allan,
In reply to Allan Olesen, Mar 30, 2013

Allan,

You have a point.      But, perception is reality.

Problem is , PROs  have been using manual strobes a lot longer vs TTL.

and is "still" the most effective when you are taking the same shot in the studio.

When you have the same set up , Nothing is faster or more Consistent than using manual.  when you are doing the same shot over and over again.  You will be surprised how much that is done

Many want to "at least" have a  Manual Trigger  (No adapter needed) Base line.

And you can fire in manual ... and sometimes that is all you need.  Certainly for strobist.

And that for better or worse is the  Hot Shoe everyone but Sony uses.

The writing is on the wall.

It's like trying to fight the inferior JPG or MP3  file format.

or how many do not like Video on DSLRs.

HG

Allan Olesen wrote:

Hawaii-geek wrote:

I am sure Sony users have legacy gear ... but PRO's  have a LOT of gear (expensive gear) , and it must work together.  The gear Costs are Huge.  PROs need to keep cost down to generate profits.  What they have and what they want to use needs to work together.

There is one thing which those pros apparently don't understand:

There is no standard hot shoe.

Even though the Canon and Nikon hot shoes look equal, they are not compatible. You can't use a Nikon flash with in the Canon hot shoe and get TTL. You can't use a radio trigger for Nikon in the Canon shoe and get TTL.

The only "standard" is the physical shape and the position of the flash firing contact point. But any Sony camera with iISO hot shoe supports that standard too if you just buy a cheap adapter.

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/
Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow