ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Roman Fishtein
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Question on D7100 Auto ISO behavior for flash photography
Mar 30, 2013

Hi guys,

I've upgraded my D90 to D7100 and still learning. There are a few things I can not figure out and manual does not help. My setup is D7100+SB900 (also tried SB400). Tested with a a number of lenses (17-55, 16-85, 85/1.8, 50-150, etc.). Settings is indoors in a relatively dimly lit room. Various objects (people, books, boxes, etc.)

First, for some strange reason, no matter what Base ISO I have defined in Auto ISO settings, when flash is attached the minimal ISO I get is 400. I was not able to find any other setting that controls that value. D90 behaved differently, ISO stayed at ISO 200 (its lowest on D90) unless the flash was not strong enough. Is this expected?

Next, when the light level goes low, it looks like D7100 prefers to bump ISO instead of increasing the flash power (and believe me, SB 900 has more than enough to light the room). D90 always kept the ISO at its lowest as long as it could.

D7100 approach produces images with more ambient light, but sometimes I'd have preferred D90 approach as it produced more "predictable" ISO settings.

Is my understanding of D7100 behavior correct? Is there a way to change it?

For the reference, here are the Auto ISO settings I have right now

ISO sensitivity: 100

Maximum sensitivity: 1600

Minimum shutter speed: AUTO

-- hide signature --

RF

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
AutoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow