Some dumb questions I have been wondering about

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,679
Like?
Re: Some dumb questions I have been wondering about
In reply to Wellington100, Mar 30, 2013

Wellington100 wrote:

1) Why are camera sensors not square? Surely a square sensor is the most efficient way to get the best out of a lens?

The same argument applies to film. And why are TVs not square ?

I think the main reason is that the angle of human vision is wider than high.

A counter example is that most books and magazines are in portrait format. Square pages are rare. Landscape format is mainly used for art and photo books that reproduce landscape format pictures.

2) Does using a Polarising filter reduce the Dynamic Range of an image taken in sunlight with a digital camera?

Try it and see.

3) Why do most cameras have IQ reducing AA filters when the few cameras that don't have them jump in IQ and moire is nowhere to be seen in 99.99% of the images?

The higher the resolution of the sensor, the less you need an AA filter. They were very much needed in early digital cameras with video resolution. When you get to 20 Megapixels, they are hardly needed.

When the resolution of the sensor exceeds the diffraction limit of the lens(es), a moire filter is not needed.

4) What is the optimum resolution for small camera sensors? High resolution sensors seem to add significant file size for little discernible improvement in resolution, so what is the cut off for a functional and well rounded small sensor?

It depends on what size prints you want to make, or whether you are viewing on a 2k, 4k or 8k monitor.

The bigger and better the viewing device, the easier it is to discern improvements in image quality.

It also depends on the subject matter. Extensive landscapes, or city views, demand as much fine detail as possible. Party snapshots do not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow