Is an ultrawide DPM possible?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
HBowman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,132
Like?
Re: Is an ultrawide DPM possible?
In reply to MoreorLess, Mar 30, 2013

MoreorLess wrote:

Given that Sigma's sensor seems so well suited for landscape/architecture I'm wondering is an ultrawide(20mm equivalent or wider) model possible? I thinking mainly about cost and whether the foveon sensor can cope with light coming in at a narrow angle.

Hello Moreorless,

Actually, for me, this is NOT possible with the actual foveon. First, I not sure that foveon rely on Microlenses to corect the ligh field in the corners of the Merrill sensor. I'm pretty sure that the sensor is "nude" and rely only on the lenses characteristics such as "telecentrism" to sort this problem.

Actually, by seeing were SIGMA/FOVEON is, at a technology level, this is not possible.

They have two choices but those are just my opinion, non expert:

• They put microlenses on the sensors (I do not think it is that easy with the foveon structure ...)
  • They build "near" MF lens to be sure that light field will cover largely over APS-C and even over FF sensor size. This is what are doing Zeiss, by the way, with the future super lenses who are coming.

Final word is :

Please SIGMA, build us a FF SD in F mount

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow