Anybody experience with Fader ND Filters?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,777
Like?
Anybody experience with Fader ND Filters?
Mar 30, 2013

With a superfast lens on its way towards me, I think I will be needing some ND filtering in order to be able to shoot at large aperture in bright light.

This caught my attention : the Light Craft Workshop (LCW) Fader ND Filter (Mark ii).

It's a filter that can "fade" between 2 stops and 8 stops of ND strength.  Sounds convenient.

But of course convenience comes at a price (and I am just referring to money).

The fading effect, insofar as I understand it, is created by having actually two filters on top of eachother, with an interaction similar to polarizing.  That sounds like it would degrade image quality much more than just using a regular 2stop ND or a 4stop ND or and 8stop ND.

Does any of you have experience with this kind of filter?  The brand in question or others?

(I will also experiment with the filters I already have : my ND filters are of the square Cokin kind and I am not too happy with them, but I have a reasonably good circular polarizer in the right filter size, so I will try how that one works for starters: it's between 1.5 and 2 stops.)

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow