Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RustierOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,649Gear list
Like?
Finally My Turn at PanSTARRS & Andromeda Nebula
Mar 30, 2013

After about a dozen 75-mile round trips to my western view observing site, the weather finally cooperated. This was a superb night with no Moon as twilight deepened. When it got dark, the winter Milky Way was arrayed high in the west, with the Zodiacal Light glowing as a long narrow triangle extending up toward the Pleiades. I was able to capture around 90 images showing Comet PanSTARRS, some of which also included the Andromeda Galaxy. Here's a quick sample using a home-made barn door mount with a Sony NEX-5N and legacy Tokina (OM) 35-135mm zoom @ f/3.5, single images:

Comet PanSTARRS over the Pacific Ocean with Beta Andromedae (Above Lt.) and  M31 (Above Rt.), 35mm, 1600 ISO, 15 sec.

Comet PanSTARRS, 135mm, 1600 ISO, 120 sec.

Although the comet is getting very dim, low in the sky, this next shot shows a bit of the great extent of the Andromeda Galaxy.

Comet PanSTARRS with Beta Andromedae and M31, 80mm, 1600 ISO, 90 sec.

I'll try stacking the series of 135mm, 90 second shots to reduce noise and enhance the comet.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow