Photographers speak in tongues

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,788Gear list
Like?
Veritas, veritatis.. Truth.
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Mar 30, 2013

Other languages change as much as English, by and large.

Latin, is after all, not dead. It exists as French, Italian, Provencal, Catalan, Rumanian, Corsican, Portuguese, Gallego, Spanish, Romansh , etc. It exists in most other languages. After all, 70% of English words are derived from French and nearly all of them from Latin. You hear Latin derivatives in huge numbers in all the other non-Latin European languages. Though Irish is a so-called Celtic language, Old Irish is in fact the old language closest to Latin.

The use of the word "proper" instead of properly in the original post was obviously humorous to me.

While "give them time they might" would be more textbook as "given time them might" etc., it's the kind of truncation most English speaker indulge themselves in and I'm fully sure that the same is done in other languages.

Where I agree with Meland is that a lot of jargon is a (failed) attempt to sound important.

"Blows out of the water" is much more important than "is substantially better than".

"I only use L glass" is vastly more important than "I waste lots of money on expensive Canon lenses that are in practical use, marginally better than the cheaper ones"

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OopsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow