Reading resolution charts comparing MFT lenses to FX lenses

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Questions thread
tjdean01
Senior MemberPosts: 2,059Gear list
Like?
Re: Ideally...
In reply to Great Bustard, Mar 30, 2013

To be perfectly honest, I think we are well, well, well past the point where differences in resolution matter for the vast majority.  That is, if you took a pic of a scene with the kit lens and the 12-35 / 2.8, printed them even at 16x24 inches, put them both for sale, they'd sell for the same price and in the same amount.  Well, maybe you'll sell 53 of the pics shot with the 12-35 and 47 pics shot with the kit lens, but you get what I'm saying.

I'm just coming to the opinion that any IQ differential between lenses and systems is simply unimportant for the vast majority in the vast majority of situations, and it's only for the extremes that it matters.  And by "extremes", I mean the very extremes.

There's one thing a lot of people fail to consider on this forum, while shopping, and in general, life.  It's that people have opinions that cannot be changed by others.  I'm as guilty as anyone.  I call guys dumb for spending $1000s for rims on their car; and in many cases I'm sure I'm right, but some people have valid reasons for things.  So what purpose does a purple PM1 with the lowly 17mm f2.8 lens serve?  A great starter cameras coaxing your girlfriend into photography, no?

I've seen a lot on this forum talking about how the sharpness of an image is not important.  Says who?  You?  (Not you personally I'm just saying in general.)  How can anyone tell anyone else that sharpness isn't important?  What if I want to take a landscape photo and view it at 100% and drag it around my computer screen and look at how sharp my new lens is?  Is there anything wrong with that?  It's no worse than sitting around watching a TV show.

Either way, I like sharpness.  The sharper the better.  It's in-camera sharpening that looks sharp to my eye but doesn't result in real resolution and I can't see that it's been over-sharpened (I can usually tell if it's oversharpened, however), then guess what?  It'll be my favorite!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow