Good 50mm Lens For Sony Nex ... on a Budget?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 2,746Gear list
Like?
Re: How about the CANON EF 50mm f/1.8 II ? any cheap stabilized lens?
In reply to Louno, Mar 30, 2013

Louno wrote:

So I still am not sure If I should get the NEX-3N or 5R...

But, I just received my airmile statement, and, realized that I could get the CANON EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens , "free" ...

I looked at some pics and stuff but I dont know if its a good lens, I saw some samples and although some reviews said the lens was sharp, it seemed to me it wasn't as sharp as some of the lenses I saw in Kuuan's really cool flicker set ... it seems to me like the OM Zuiko Auto-S f1.8 , Pentax A f1.7 and M f1.4 could be better...? Maybe some of the other lenses mentioned too like the canon fdn, takumar etc....

Canon EF 50 f/1.8 is an electronic aperture lens. That means that without expensive electronic adapter, you won't be able to set the aperture. (You can use EOS camera to pre-set the aperture, but that is PITA. Also, stay away from adapters with a "built in aperture", they will vignette in most cases.)

On top of that, it is probably the least convinient lens for manual focusing on the market and its built quality is mediocre at best.

On the other hand, it is one of the sharper 50mm lenses, but it suffer from heavy CA wide open and bokeh is nothing to write home about. I wouldn't recommand this lens for NEX to anyone.

As a side note, does anyone know what would be the cheapest (used) stabilized 50mm lens one could likely find? Does it require the very expensive adapters to make the stabilization work?

Sony SEL 5018. Any other combination, (using LA-EAx and Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS i.e) will be more expensive, not to speak about size and weight.

Oh, and big THANKS for all the feedbacks!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow