"I Take My Camera Everywhere". Really?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
JimCo
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?
Re: "I Take My Camera Everywhere". Really?
In reply to Monicakm, Mar 30, 2013

:-|Many, many years ago (1953 I think), when I was in the army (and long before the advent of digital cameras, and even film SLRs for that matter) I had a Kodak 35-mm camera with a split-image range finder. Its lens, as I recall, had a between-the-lens shutter, and had a maximum aperture of f/3.5 and a maximum shutter speed of 1/200 second. I used it with a GE light meter. It also had its own leather carrying case. At any rate, I had it on the front seat of my car when I had to suddenly brake. It slid off and hit the floor. I discovered that its shutter speed control dial (which encircled the lens barrel) would only deliver one speed. However, fortunately, I discovered that if before I would make a shot I would rotate this dial all the way to its slowest speed (which I think was either bulb or time) and then rotate it back to the desired speed, it would function properly. So I was saved so long as I would take this step for each shot. Eventually I sent it in for repair, and it worked fine after that until it just finally wore out and gave up the ghost. So I learned my lesson from that experience and have never let any camera just lie unsecured on a car seat.

JimCo

JimCo's gear list:JimCo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow