Calling All Collars: 70-200 f/4 VR

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Enthusiast Photographer
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
Re: Calling All Collars: 70-200 f/4 VR
In reply to emax, Mar 30, 2013

emax wrote:

I just acquired a 70-200 f/4 VR, and am about to buy a non-Nikon collar for it.

I have previously used a Canon 70-200 f/4 IS, for which I bought a cheap ebay collar that worked about as well as the genuine Canon collar.

Ebay has 2 Chinese collars available for the Nikon:  one is $26, has a hexagonal screw, and is stamped with the word "REIYI";  the other is $37, with a knurled round screw.

If anyone has used either / both of these collars, I'd be interested in your opinion(s).  I'm tempted to get one of each because of the low prices.

Muchas gracias.

I wouldn't trust my $1400 70-200 f/4 (not to mention the attached camera...) to a no-name collar.

I've seen a couple comments on FM and other forums that there can be some "play" in the cheap-o collars too, which defeats the purpose.  Maybe these don't have that issue, but if you can afford a nice collar, I don't understand why you wouldn't put a trustworthy collar on it.

Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow