First Week w/ 6D....from 5D Mk II

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
PeterY
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305
Like?
Re: First Week w/ 6D....from 5D Mk II
In reply to 24Peter, Mar 30, 2013

I'm glad you're happy with your 6D (it looks like there's a lot to like about it) but I'm not aware of anyone reporting a significant difference in dynamic range between the 6D and 5DII. In fact, the dpreview review of the 6D shows less DR than the 5DII or III - see http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d/16

As for your photos, they're very nice, but its pretty clear you were lighting the interiors with added light/ flash. So I'm not sure how they're examples of the camera's dynamic range abilities.

Well, DR is the very first thing I noticed. I am not doubting DPR's words but for the past 3 years with my 5DM2, I went through 200-300 images per day and I know exactly how the camera behaves. So along come photos wherer the outside window details don't need to be blended back to show details, then I would instantly notice. These were shot all in RAW then converted. Maybe that's where the difference is? DPR's tests were with JPG's no?

Just because the interior was lit with flash doesn't mean there are no showy areas in a room. All I know is that areas where the 5DM2 would blow out, the 6D is not. And the areas where the 5DM2 would severely underexpose, the 6D would not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow