Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,110
Like?
Re: Reasons to not buy the 'SV' bundle.
In reply to just Tony, Mar 30, 2013

just Tony wrote:

Wayne Larmon wrote:

When I was researching my own system I read a lot of posts on the Luminous Landscape "Color Management" forum.  This questions was specifically asked and Mr. Hollingworth answered it.  Read his full response--he basically says what I had said, earlier.  (I was paraphrasing his post, from memory.

My interpretation is that he's talking about the device on the left in my picture below. My 2-software success was with the one on the right which came in the full NEC bundle I bought some time back.

The devices on the left is a re-badged i1 Display Pro.  This is the one that will only work with NEC software.

The device on the right is a re-badged Monaco (XRite) DTP-94.  I used a DTP-94 (with Monaco software) for years before I switched to my NEC PA241W/Spectraview II/i1DP.   Stock DTP-94s are (usually) sRGB only, so NEC definitely did something to make theirs be wide-gamut.

When I connect the puck on the right to the X-Rite software it self identifies as an X-Rite device, not NEC.

Another quote from Will was interesting:

"Due to the device "locking" mechanism implemented on the new sensors, each software application must be given the keys to access each different device. We will work with other software vendors on this issue as necessary, however our immediate priority is supporting the NEC device in the NEC software."

Those keys are apparently working behind the scenes with no user participation required. I bought the puck on the left above a few days ago, as a used product. I didn't see any key codes on the included CD, which I didn't use anyway. I installed a new version of SpectraView from the NEC website and my non-matched puck worked immediately.

Cool.  Any flavor of an i1DP should be real good.  Based on Dry Creek Photo.  And anything else I've read.

See the Dry Creek Photo test of Display Calibration Capabilities.  They concluded

Both of the newest devices on the market, the i1Display Pro and Discus, perform much better than any previously available instrument.

The Discus costs more than $1,000.  He also said

...any given Eye-One Display 2 may be much less accurate than average.  The newer i1Display Pro is another instrument entirely, and much more accurate.

The problem with color management calibration devices is that it is tricky to test accuracy.  Unless you are somebody like Dry Creek Photo that tests pucks by the hundred and tests them against $20,000+ lab grade instruments.

Looking at the text that NEC added to those two pucks I suppose that NEC is telling us that they did some kind of added work, possibly motivated by the less precise calibrations coming out of X-Rite.

My take is that there is more hardware precision (possibly in the form of more selective spectral passbands) in the newer X-Rite devices. I also suspect that NEC has all along been providing some measure of additional value by performing calibrations of the X-Rite pucks on reference NEC monitors.

I think that this was true for pucks earlier than the i1DP.  Reread what Dry Creek Photo says for all pucks earlier than the i1DP (not counting the Discus, which is in another class.

Note that Will Hollingworth didn't make any claims for the NEC badged i1DP.  He only said that it was $50 cheaper.  And was firmware locked so that it only worked with NEC monitors.   (All references are to links I gave earlier.)

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow