FZ200 as a birding camera - my moment of truth

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,949Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 as a birding camera - my moment of truth
In reply to DaveyB, Mar 30, 2013

David,

I have much admiration for your knowledge of birds, and your ability to get those very special images of them. You have a very unusual skill set.  At the risk of becoming the grinch at this party, however, I think you are under-utilizing the camera and could get far better results with it.

The iZoom feature yields images which look decent when they're small, but look like a painting when they're enlarged (click to see it full size and you'll see what I mean).

All you need to do to avoid this is to save your images as RAW+JPG and do some simple postprocessing of the .RW2 files (which aren't affected by the in-camera settings) when you get home.  I think you'll be impressed by the improvement, and the very small amount of effort involved in the processing.

Safari pictures in particular benefit from RAW+JPG, because subject is typically so far away and you can't help but try to get as much magnification as possible out of the camera.

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow