FZ200 as a birding camera - my moment of truth

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,842
Like?
Re: FZ200 as a birding camera - my moment of truth
In reply to DaveyB, Mar 30, 2013

David,

I have much admiration for your knowledge of birds, and your ability to get those very special images of them. You have a very unusual skill set.  At the risk of becoming the grinch at this party, however, I think you are under-utilizing the camera and could get far better results with it.

The iZoom feature yields images which look decent when they're small, but look like a painting when they're enlarged (click to see it full size and you'll see what I mean).

All you need to do to avoid this is to save your images as RAW+JPG and do some simple postprocessing of the .RW2 files (which aren't affected by the in-camera settings) when you get home.  I think you'll be impressed by the improvement, and the very small amount of effort involved in the processing.

Safari pictures in particular benefit from RAW+JPG, because subject is typically so far away and you can't help but try to get as much magnification as possible out of the camera.

Sherm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow