Is professional photography dying out?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,040Gear list
Like?
other things too
In reply to deleted080512, Mar 30, 2013

There are rich real estate agents. But not many. I sold real estate for about 6 years for 3 different brokers. This was 12 years ago now, but then the avg agent in teh US made less than $18k a YEAR in income.
Lots of part timers, lots of people get into it seeing dollar signs only to find out it's work - and lots of it. It's a lot like photography these days - you must network on your own and don't depend on the tv ads, real estate magazines, etc to do much to bring in business. Referrals are KING!\

When you consider opening any business you need to do some research - you see 100 photographers. What does that mean? Tons of customers, huge market, money for everyone? Or over saturation and everyone is starving?

Go stand outside a few businesses and count customers. See if they're carrying bags/food out of the stores. Are they actually BUYING anything?

Go to any gunstore these days - there is a a line to buy every hour of the day. It's insane. You want to make money? Open a gun store!

Would you open a record store? A video rental store? People listen to mucis, watch movies, right?
Would you open a jewelry store or high end home theatre store or fur store in a lower middle class area? Of course not as those folks don't spend money on those luxury goods in enogh volume to keep you in business.
So, what is the market for photography? What kind of photography?  Is there ENOUGH market? That seems to be the problem!

-- hide signature --

Vision without execution is hallucination. T. Edison.
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow