Sigma SD1M wrong colors

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,947Gear list
Like?
Re: A few other things going on...
In reply to Gary Dean Mercer Clark, Mar 30, 2013

Gary Dean Mercer Clark wrote:

First let me say that I found your images on Flickr to be outstanding. Bravo. Beautiful.The Italian countryside and seascapes are luscious. The floral work is rich and colorful.

Now about the difference between the DP Merrill and SD1M.  After reviewing your work, it is clear that you like bright, very colorful images with punchy color.  Shoot with Auto white balance in vibrant mode with the SD1M to produce the most colorful images.  If you are shooting raw---just change the settings to Auto + vibrant and see if that doesn't produce pretty accurate reds with the SD1M.

I've never had good luck shooting with the different color temperatures like overcast etc.  Like you I have my monitor color calibrated--using a different system, but I could see the orangish cast you mention---deffinitely a result of using the overcast white balance setting.  When shooting outdoors, I've found that shooting on auto white balance is very accurate.

Its a little difficult to compare apples to oranges between your DP Merrill images and the SD1M images as the exposures are different.

One camera was more over exposed than the other.  I think if you do a head to head test with both cameras with the same settings, you will find very little difference in color accuracy.  Let us know how your test works out.

Gary Dean Mercer Clark

Correct me if I am wrong, which I can be as I have no Sigma camera, but as far as I know it does not matter what setting you have when you shoot. You can always chose any setting in SPP, except that you  cannot change the actual exposure. So, it is vibrant or overcast or whatever ... it does not matter. Its just a starting point for SPP.

So, therefore some here asked for the RAW files, and got them.

And ... the RAW fils are different. The DP2M files have red reds, that maybe are somewhat pink. And the SD1M files have orange reds. Its very easy to see.

Now, the exposures are not made at identical lighting. So, to be absolutely sure, tests where both cameras have the same situation is probably a good idea.

Playing around with the color wheel in SPP I found something peculiar. The red parts in the DP2M files were easy to modify and I could get almost any value, from orange to purple. But, the SD1M file red did nearly not change a bit - it was orange all the time.

I find that strange.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow