Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 3,950Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 as a birding camera - my moment of truth
In reply to Ruth Lipnick, Mar 30, 2013

Ruth Lipnick wrote:

LOVE these images.

Did you feel any need to zoom closer?

I just purchased the FZ200 for a fall safari and am practicing on birds but I'm not getting the zoom I want.. Rather than fool with izoom, I'd like to know what teleconverter is recommended for this camera. I just posted the question on a new thread.

Is there a downside to using the teleconverter?

-- hide signature --

Hi Ruth, I don't use a TC, but I have seen some fine images form those who do. The biggest downside to using one is having to take it on and off, plus the good ones (ie most expensive) are usually quite big lumps of glass, which makes them heavy and harder to transport and store. I find that the izoom gives quite good results. I also like setting the camera to 8mp file size and that then gives 30x optical zoom, with excellent results.

You also have to be aware that not all TCs are equal and some give worse results than using izoom. I have one like that, the izoom is actually sharper and clearer than my old Sony 2x TC and easier to use.

While the results don't match the best of the TCs out there, they aren't too bad either, here is a comparison. One shot taken at 24x the other 48x.

24x

48x using izoom

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow