D600 Auto Focus Points - Who Thought That Would Be A Good Idea?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kelly M Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 394
Like?
Re: Spread of AF points is about the same on DX / FX
In reply to TOF guy, Mar 29, 2013

TOF guy wrote:

Kelly M Jones wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

Kelly wrote:

The spread of the AF points on full frame SLRs is smaller than DX. Here's a comparison that is pretty close to realistic. You'll notice that the D800 spread is a bit larger than the D600, but quite a bit smaller than the excellent D300. I've used the D600 and D800 and I find that although the D800 AF point area is not a lot bigger, in practice, it seems much better than the D600's.

This is a misleading graphic because it compares the spread relative to the size of the viewfinder.

You would see the same spread for D700/D3/D800/D4 compared to D300 if you crop the FF viewfinder layout to match the DX mode.

Granted the D600 has a smaller spread. Not by very much.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

I don't see it as misleading because the spread relative to the viewfinder is what is important. Of course the D700/D3/D800/D4 are the same as the D300's if you crop the viewfinder view.

It certainly misled you since you came to the conclusion that the spread is less on DX while in fact it is the same !

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

I wasn't mislead at all. In the viewfinder the spread is less on FX in relative terms. It would be more misleading to say that AF point coverage is same on both. I'm not saying it's bad, just that if you expect to be able to select an AF point to the extreme edge of the frame on FX, you can't compared to DX.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow