Can i handle this shoot?

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Questions thread
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,158Gear list
Like?
There's more to it than that
In reply to photoman157, Mar 29, 2013

photoman157 wrote:

I'm sorry but if you have over 20 yrs of experience shooting film, then you know that one should always master the equipment they are using before ever taking on a paid job. What's the correlation? You act like you understand film and cameras. There is very little difference if you understand exposure, shutter and aperture. White balance is similar to knowing whether to shoot daylight or tungsten film.

If you are familiar with a film SLR and are use to shooting chromes, and can get good exposed images, and you have several days from when you get your camera, then you can shoot a D800. If you could not shoot good chromes in the past, then you'll have problems with the D800.

If any of these terms are foreign to you then you know the answer to your question. Yes today's cameras have much better metering systems and automated functions, but you can't rely completely on post processing to bail you out of trouble.

When I got my D300 I had plenty of film experience with cameras of all types. But it took me months to get comfortable with the D300 because it has so many options compared to a film camera and most of the time one or more of them was set wrong. I would not consider doing an assignment with a DSLR unless I was completely comfortable with it, which, in my experience, takes quite a bit of shooting.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow