Thinking of swapping from MFT to full DSLR - Advice?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,774Gear list
Like?
Go for it.
In reply to Pebbleheed, Mar 29, 2013

I'm a dual owner (actually I've tried many brands and systems).

As a Canon owner I've gotten to really take advantage of pre-owned local CL and I get what is essentially free rentals of any gear (i.e. buy low sell high/fair, etc).  You will statistically have greater opportunity to find cheaper prices on lenses, etc and there are times where you will easily pick up bodies/lenses below market rate.

This can happen *sometimes* on MFT, but in truth MFT owners are like folks that appreciate a cult classic.  They tend to not be bandwagon purchasers and have done research so they typically keep what they buy, etc.

A lot of Canon lenses at pre-owned or street pricing is indeed bargain priced.  Nikon now has a very significant lens rebate program that will not come around often, you have like ONE DAY to capitalize on this as it effectively is another way to buy lenses for practically free rentals.

Buying MFT lenses is like this in comparison.  I try my hardest to find the absolute *best* deals that come around once in a blue moon, or I shop on ebay for the cheapest most reputable south korean vendor, etc...and it *doesn't* matter because I will get burned on the resale regardless due to rather low demand and high market savvyness of MFT purchasers.

As far as IQ across systems I describe it as follows.  FF systems have lenses that tend to 'peak' at wider apertures than MFT or APS-C systems.  APS-C systems have no real advantage over MFT systems on having wider aperture peaking...sometimes they peak later or in general do not have as good glass, etc.  Canon telephotos however are still a decent advantage on the APS-C system (Nikon's new 70-200 f4 VR is pretty awesome too).  By 'peaking' I just mean improvements in IQ in terms of sharpness, contrast, and lack of aberrations, etc.

How important is it for you however to really have lenses shot at peak performance, etc?  Probably like Ken Rockwell says, sharpness is not that important at all, and thus the objectively measurable advantage means very little for most photographers and most applications in real-world use.  If you are shooting in very low light there is a chance you don't have the type of lighting to really 'resolve' to your peak.  If you are shooting shallow DOF, there is a chance only a very minimal portion of your photo is in focus anyways...

However I do like some things about Olympus especially after trying Sony NEX...and that is they do not artificially take away any features from the Olympus E-PM2.  It still has top-rate AF and FPS burst rate and all the features and UI and mysets, etc.  The ergonomic difference between an E-PM2 and E-M5 I would say is not as *huge* as between a Rebel and a 5DMKIII.  In fact I consider both of them small CSCs and have similar form factor and fiddlyness in use.  So to be able to buy the E-PM2 with the same sensor as some of the best, same features as some of the best, same burst and AF, etc is really nice that you don't get in Sony NEX land or DSLRs (which will significantly cheap out on your AF module if you don't pay up).  Olympus is the one brand that seems to take the *least* away from their lower end models.  Sony NEX is starting to become stupid with artificial limitations (2.5 FPS on their 3N NEX, pay for apps, 200 base ISO vs 100 base ISO, hybrid PDAF vs classic CDAF, slightly different menus/features per models, etc).

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow