Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs 1.4G

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ArunasM
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs 1.4G
In reply to p m h, Mar 29, 2013

I have had the 85 1.4 AF-D for many years, and recently also purchased the 85 1.4 AF-S.

I mainly have been shooting these with my D800.  I have found that the new 85 mm lens focuses perhaps a little bit more slowly than the AF-D.  Sharpness wise, there is an edge to the new lens, center, and especially out to the edges wide open, and even to F2.8.

My experience with focus accuracy is a little different than others have mentioned, the AF-D provided accurate focus with almost no focus calibration for near to further distances, while the newer AF-S is off, about +5-6, and requires a different correction for near and far distances.  The consistency and calibration of each lens on my D7000 has been very good - which to me points to the D800 focus system.

Because of this inconsistency, I have chosen to hang on to both the 85s for now.

I would recommend that you try out the new AF-S before you commit to selling your AF-D - you may gain something and possibly lose something (as I have found).

-- hide signature --

- Arunas
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - Henri Cartier Bresson

ArunasM's gear list:ArunasM's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow