Olympus 12 mm - F/2 ... Is it worth the $$ ?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Questions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: Hold it right there, pardner
In reply to G1Houston, Mar 29, 2013

G1Houston wrote:

texinwien wrote:

You're leaving out the SLR Magic HyperPrime Cine 12mm t/1.6. As long as the OP doesn't need AF at this short focal length, this lens is faster and cheaper than the Oly. It's also gotten some good reviews, and I believe it's also made out of metal.

Add that as another cheaper choice if AF isn't required.

tex

Yeah, but considering that the SLR lens is >$500, it is a lot of money for a MF only lens.  It is a truly special purpose lens.

Have you seen the prices for the Voigtländer and Schneider Kreuzbach lenses? They're manual focus and make the SLR Magic lens look downright cheap

Short focal lengths are where manual focus is easier, anyway - thus the zone focus feature on the Olympus 12mm. Not too hard to get everything into focus with a 12mm lens.

OK, I'll admit - it's a specialty lens, but I think it's worth a look if you're already thinking about dropping $800 on the Oly.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow