D7200: More Megapixels, more DR, or improved high ISO IQ? Locked

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,871Gear list
D7200: More Megapixels, more DR, or improved high ISO IQ?
Mar 29, 2013

OK, the D7100 and it's 24MP sensor is a done deal, and there is no improvement in dynamic range or high ISO image quality, which I found disappointing after all the pre-release hype. There are  just more megapixels to make birders and pixel peepers happy, but what about the rest of us?

Grainy noise and dynamic range are image characteristics that are readily seen at most viewing sizes, but more megapixels are not, and in fact you need to zoom in using a  monitor to see the detail  difference between 16 and 24MP, (assuming a quality lens sharp enough to resolve the differences).

For those of you who think you will probably pass on the D7100, what improvements in image quality would you  like to see in the D7200, if any?

Personally I would like to see virtually no noise (grainy or otherwise) at lower ISOs, even in out of camera JPEGs,  while still retaining sharpness, color accuracy, and also some improvement in dynamic range. I don't think this is too much to ask for in a $1200 body!

Nikon D7000 image

Dear Nikon,

The D7000 image quality was a step forward and encouraging, so let's see more DR and less grainy noise for the D7200 than the D7100 has please!

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
easyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow