X100s AF compared to X100 (non-scientific)

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jule
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
X100s AF compared to X100 (non-scientific)
Mar 29, 2013

Greetings.

As mentioned in http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51177641 Ive played a bit today in the house with both cameras.

I will not persue the matter further after this (promise), other than of course answer those questions that may be. I am pretty certain the problem is real, at least for my camera with my setup. Given Fujis recent history with numerous updates Im not that worried - and as I have said: the X100s really is worth the upgrade, as a camera is so much more than AF. Remenber the X100 early versions guys?

Setup is MF mode, AF set to AFL/AEL (on/of). No power saving.

3 Pictures from the living room from both cameras. Pictures resized to same (standart bicubic, no PP except sRGB conversion), please remember that a) X100s have no AA filter b) is inherently bigger c) at ISO 3200 the X100 struggles, the X100s not so. This will give more details in the X100s Picture when compared, and apparantly therefor sharper. Both cameras same setup, everything standart (but of course may well differ just as the basic EP value clearly does).

An important factor is the time and manner in which the X100s did the AF in this dimly light room. Every time (ok, allmost every time) is struggled/hunted/whatever before setteling. Often on the right focus, but not allways. This in contrast to the X100 that clicked into AF within half a sec max, cept for the odd hunt.

Ok the "focusbox" is a bit larger on the X100s ect. Told you it was non-Scientific

At the bottom of the thread 4 Pictures from my trip, with bad focus in good light ect. These things happen of course in every batch of pictures. But I have been doing 2 years of day to day photography with the X100, and I can honestly say that the percentage for this batch was higher than I am used to, in spite of excellent light.

First Picture: focus box on my son. This was the easiest target for the X100s, often - but not allways - focusing on par with the X100.

X100

X100s

Second Picture. Focus box on the 3 weather gauges (in lack of the right word) on the chimney. X100s struggles a lot here. Remember I did these maneuvers some 20-30 times, so overall behaviour is quite certain. The acutal X100s Picture shows a bit of front focus, the X100 spot on (but quality hampered by aforementioned Picture degrading.

X100

X100s

Third Picture with focus box on the close edge of the CD-player. X100s gets the focus right, as most of the times, but allmost every time with some hunting.

X100

X100s

Ok. last but not least 4 misfocused Pictures from the trip, and I have more where they came from.. Personal errors is allways possible (Im too old to deny that), but the amount really baffles me..

Jule's gear list:Jule's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro +1 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow