Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,796Gear list
Like?
Re: The NEF and the last flower
In reply to edo21, Mar 29, 2013

edo21 wrote:

I've read that someone viewing the samples i published has convinced himself to buy the D7100.
Happy to have been useful.

So if anyone else is interested, here are the NEF of my test at iso 1600 with this camera.

You will find 4 files 14bit lossless uploaded in this thread as jpeg.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/72142518/PROVE_D7100.rar

Today i made some reportage and macro shots and i've to say that the 24 MP sensor requires a lot of attentions, it relentlessly shows your mistakes or your skills.

It seems the situation that the D800 / E owners have faced after purchase.

D7100 + Tokina 100/2.8 Macro - F6.3 - 1/13s - iso 100

This is one of the rarest orchids, Ophrys Mateolana, that blooms here in very hidden place inside a wood for only 15 days more or less from the first day of spring.
Sadly, this little corner of heaven has been devastated yesterday by a herd of cattle and the group of about twenty orchids i photographed last year has gone.
The one you see is the last one survived (at the moment i think on the planet).

This is what confounds me about the D7100 image posts on this forum. Some look nice and sharp and others soft. Some show a lot of grain in the background and others little or none.  Your image shows little grain but looks unacceptably soft on my monitor. Did you perhaps use too much noise reduction to get rid of the grainy look? Or is there something else going on?

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow