Blogger Ming Thein: GH3 a "consumer appliance"

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,917Gear list
Like?
Re: Your use of "biased" is perfecty correct, Aleo...
In reply to MichaelKJ, Mar 29, 2013

MichaelKJ wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

…whether the popular definition is applied -- andthat applies to postings on a photo blog -- or the behavioral science definition is implied.

Is Ming's bias unconscious? Frankly, if he can produce such hyperbole and is unconscious of the problems with it, then he has a problem himself. I think he intended to be "controversial" by putting on an appearance of bias against the GH3. His language is too extreme for it to be otherwise in my view as a behavioral science graduate and professional writer, marketer, and advertiser, and teacher of "writing for a purpose".

I would counsel you to ignore Michael's apparent carping about the use of the term "bias".

He appears to lack an understanding of when to apply the specialized narrow definition of a term borrowed from the general lexicon by a science, i.e. you applied the narrow definition when speaking or writing within the constraints of that science about matters subject to scientific scrutiny.

What many people lack is an understanding of how what they consider objective opinions are actually biased.  As a behavioral science graduate and marketer, I assume you are aware that Kahneman & Tversky's findings on cognitive biases and heuristics have practical implications.

Goodness, gracious me. I hope so, otherwise their studies were a total waste of time and money.

You are not speaking or writing within the field of behavioral science so the general language definition of "bias" applies. Your use of it was perfectly correct.

Are you sure? Aleo said that he didn't think Ming's bias was intentional, but you indicate otherwise. Are the two of you using the same notion of bias?

According to the definition in Wikipedia, Bias can come in many forms and is often considered to be synonymous with prejudice or bigotry Is that the general language definition that you claim applies here?

Micheal's introduction of the behavioral science definition was wrong.

How so?

Because Aleo's usage was correct according to the general definition -- as I clearly said above. You want to apply definitions developed in behavioral science, go play in the behavioral science yard.

"Bias can come in many forms" -- is that good enough for you? Seems you aren’t even reading what you post.

"Are the two of you using the same notion of bias." Pop psychology rampant! You either didn’t read what I wrote, didn’t read what you wrote, or if you did, you don’t understand the implications of either or both.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow