Photographers speak in tongues

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
JTuuti
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Is DPR turning into a forum for crumpy old men?
In reply to meland, Mar 29, 2013

I have been reading so many posts recently about how things used to be so much better, and how sickened everybody is seeing the young people stepping on their lawn.

The photographers have always been in love with their jargon, we are all just so used to it, that we don't even realize that not everybody talks that way.  Just as the SMS generation does not realize that not everybody talks the way they do.

Why don't you try to explain what you are doing to someone completely new to this, and very soon you'll find, that you do not share the common language.  Not so long ago I had to explain to someone that 'noise' is not the sound the camera makes.

I am really glad to read about how the kids are messing with everybody's mind, really.  The thing is, during the 10 years that have passed, there has been a revolution.  We, the old people,  are talking about digital photography; the kids are talking about the emergence of a universe of new possibilities that the combination of all the digital tools they are grown up with can offer them. We have seen the evolution of the tools, we have yet to see what these tools are going to be used for, and a part of that process is for the young to claim their territory as their own, and the language is how it always has been done.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OopsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow