Reading resolution charts comparing MFT lenses to FX lenses

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Questions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,328Gear list
Like?
Re: Reading resolution charts comparing MFT lenses to FX lenses
In reply to Dr_Jon, Mar 29, 2013

Dr_Jon wrote:

I think we may have to agree to disagree, although as my testing supports my conclusions by a big margin I'm happy with what I'm saying.

Honestly, I don't care at all about your subjective impressions about this or that. I prefer to discuss on the basis of publicly available evidence.

BTW Roger (of Lens Rentals, who has an excellent blog) has changed from a m43 to a FF Canon (the 6D, beat out all the Nikons) recently.

So what?

I think his numbers are MTF50 x 1000, so if you compare them you artificially inflate the m43 ones (smaller lower-resolution sensor).

Could you please spell out what you mean by "MTF50 x 1000" and what the source of your thinking so is?

The figures reported by LensRentals are line pairs per image height (lp/ih) at a contrast criterion of 50 percent (MTF-50). It follows that the results of smaller sensors are not inflated relative to bigger ones. It's when the results are reported per mm rather than sensor height that you have to take sensor size into account if you want to compare across systems.

You could have a phone camera with a lens that had a MTF50 of 1 from centre to edge of its 5MP 1/3.2" sensor and it wouldn't look sharper than any m43, APS or FF camera with a good lens but would score 1000 on Lens Rentals and beat them all.

You are obviously wrong about that.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow