Started Mar 27, 2013 | Questions thread
Thin_Ice
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD + one lens for mountaineering
In reply to Bob Tullis, Mar 29, 2013

Bob Tullis wrote:

Rick Baumhauer wrote:

I'd go with the Olympus 12-50 - it's not sexy, but it's versatile and inexpensive. The only lens I've ever damaged on a shoot was an m43 Oly 9-18, so I'm not particularly fond of collapsible lenses after that.

The only lens I've damaged was a 50mm Canon f1.something - dropped it, saved it from a blow landing on my instep, but as it rolled away it rolled away in two parts.  The 9-18 has been dropped more than once over the past 3 years - still as good as it ever was.

What was your point again?  [g]

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Both of you have a good point.

First of all i have a history in wrecking several camera' s in my mountaineering bacpack.  I use a mammut guide 30 - 40 liter backpack, for 3 to 5 day trips....    The camera can fit in the backpack when the climbing gear comes out.  Camera bag = plastic bag.  Since a couple of years i mostly rely on the camera' s other people carry up there.

The only two survivors are my e420  and my fathers old full mechanic nikormat (= antique collectors item).  This last one survived an impact from several meters on rock.   A good old rubber hood and lens filter took the impact.  Since then i always screw on the lens hood and can't understand why they are not included with most mft lenses.

If there is one thing i really liked on the e 420, it is the smart kit lenses with their lens hoods.

Steven

Thin_Ice's gear list:Thin_Ice's gear list
Olympus E-420 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow