A result of negative user feedback for Windows 8?

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Scott Eaton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,929
Like?
no, it's not, and I'm sick of saying it
In reply to malch, Mar 29, 2013

malch wrote:

skyglider wrote:

I've wondered if negative user feedback after the Christmas sales of Windows 8 computers would result in going back to Windows 7 (or adding the desktop start menu to Windows 8).

MS have only themselves to blame.

I do find it sad that the entire debate is focused on Metro. That's a thin veneer on the surface that is easily replaced anyway. MS should have offered a system with multiple shells/desktops, even options from third parties.

Totally untrue. Metro *cannot* be de-coupled from Win8 as per my other comments on this, and adding 3rd party start emulators just creates another potential problem down the road when MS service packs inevitably break them. Win8 is not the same thing as Windows 3.11 with Norton Desktop installed.

You get forced into the Metro interface for all kinds of things including clicking on media files, mailto links, and other common tasks. The Metro wizards are also very difficult to get out of, which is why I get calls from frustrated users locked into Metro and harassed to sign up for MS cloud services nearly to the point of tears. At this point I'm not sure if I'm more aggravated at Microsoft, or the Best Buy clerks (and people here) giving bad advice about how some third party app 'deactivates' Metro.

I agree that Microsoft should have allowed two versions of the of the OS and with a choice of GUI's. Fast food chains and tablet makers can shoose Metro while people working for a living can choose the classic shell. The problem is while this is good for users it cuts into MS's potential profit stream. Corporate software and hardware refreshes are getting longer and longer, and even Win7 is lagging behind XP. With no product downstream from Win7 MS choose to go with tablet market because it's growing fast (in the short term).

Good for Lenovo...I hope Dell and HP follow suite. Then MS can pull their 'coke / new coke' scenario and announce a non metro version of Windows.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow