Reading resolution charts comparing MFT lenses to FX lenses

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Questions thread
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,547Gear list
Like?
Re: Reading resolution charts comparing MFT lenses to FX lenses
In reply to KenBalbari, Mar 29, 2013

I'd disagree, lp/mm is not useful as a small sensor will win over a big one (it has smaller pixels to resolve detail and a smaller lens where it's easier to get more resolution per mm, essential even).

What you see in the final picture is the whole image. Let's say I have a phone which manages more lp/mm than a Canon 1Dx. Let's shoot a pic of someone's face which is 1/2 the picture height in both cases (same framing). Let's hypothesize that the phone gets 80 lp/mm over its 3mm high sensor and the 1Dx with a £2000 L series lens 50 lp/mm over its 24mm one. On your argument the phone is better (80 vs. 50).

However that means the Canon has 600 lp of resolution over the face's height and the phone 120 lp. I'm thinking the Canon will look a lot sharper.

However if using lp/ph you will see the Canon (1200) is sharper than the phone (240) and that will agree with what you see in the pictures, in direct proportion.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow