ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Henrik Herranen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,659Gear list
Like?
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 insane perspective
Mar 29, 2013

Hi there!

I just wanted to say that I still get surprised by the insane perspective you can get with a full frame camera and the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC when you put your heart to it.

Example: of the five "sepia" objects in the invitation card below, three have been shot using the Samyang. I think you can guess which three (parts of the invitation censored to protect the guilty):

Canon 5D Mark II + Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC & Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro

I am by no means a graphic designer, far from it. Nevertheless, I really love how the perspective of the Commodore 64 computer makes it look a bit like the endless ship from Spaceballs.

One thing that proved a bit difficult was lighting the disk drive using only natural light and one flash, the front of the drive being less than 2 cm from the front of the lens and its non-removable hood. Yes, this is way closer than stated minimum focus distance, but taking all photos with f/22 helped to get at least acceptable sharpness even in the front corner.

I am aware of the rounded top of the floppy diskette as well and the equally distorted C64 front bottom edge, but I chose not to correct because it gives the image a slight pseudo-fisheye look.

So, does anyone else have insane perspective photos with the Samyang?

Kind regards,
- Henrik

PS. DPreview guys, you are missing the Samyang ED AS IF UMC in your product database. You only have the old and inferior IF ED MC Aspherical there.

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow