Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,268
Like?
Re: Reasons to not buy the 'SV' bundle.
In reply to just Tony, Mar 29, 2013

just Tony wrote:

Wayne Larmon wrote:

The puck that is bundled with the SV package only works with NEC monitors.

I found that to not be correct with the prior version of the puck, the NEC-branded Eye One Display 2. It worked quite well on a Dell monitor using the MacBeth software. I have the NEC-branded Display Pro but haven't tried it with those non-NEC products yet. Maybe they did lock down the new one.

Will Hollingworth, Senior Manager, Product Development, NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc. said

Note that the NEC SpectraSensor Pro is not supported in the X-Rite software.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=55382.msg476865#msg476865

When I was researching my own system I read a lot of posts on the Luminous Landscape "Color Management" forum.  This questions was specifically asked and Mr. Hollingworth answered it.  Read his full response--he basically says what I had said, earlier.  (I was paraphrasing his post, from memory.)

Also, some SV packages have the obsolete i1D2 puck.

I wouldn't call the older one obsolete in a functional sense. It works with the current SpectraView software and continues to deliver good results. I agree that the new one is at least slightly preferable:

On the strength of your recommendation I picked up a used copy of the newer calibrator and found it to give a theoretically better calibration. My Delta-E's went from 0.8 average and 1.2 max down to 0.55 average and 0.75 max. Multiple sources advise that Delta-E values below 2 are what you want and don't obsess over differences below that. And sure enough I don't perceive any difference within Photoshop or Lightroom but I won't refuse technically better numbers. If anyone with better eyes than mine looks at my monitor I'm covered.

Yeah, "obsolete" was overstating it.  I should have phrased it more along the lines that the i1DP is better.  See the Dry Creek Photo test of Display Calibration Capabilities.  They concluded

Both of the newest devices on the market, the i1Display Pro and Discus, perform much better than any previously available instrument.

The Discus costs more than $1,000.  He also said

...any given Eye-One Display 2 may be much less accurate than average.  The newer i1Display Pro is another instrument entirely, and much more accurate.

The problem with color management calibration devices is that it is tricky to test accuracy.  Unless you are somebody like Dry Creek Photo that tests pucks by the hundred and tests them against $20,000+ lab grade instruments.  The best that we civilians can do is go by the recommendations of experts.

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow