Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,795
Like?
Re: Panasonic LX7 and Leica D-Lux 6 reviewed by Photographer Ming Thein
In reply to teddoman, Mar 29, 2013

tedandtricia wrote:

LeRentier wrote:

carizi wrote:

It's an interesting review.  What caught my attention is that Mr. Thein says that having an aperture ring is pointless on a compact because you have zero depth of field control with the focal lengths found in the LX7.   
Additionally, he does confirm that both cameras are the same physically and only cosmetically different.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/03/25/leica-d-lux-6-panasonic-lx7/#more-5339

Pointless is very strong word to use but he's entitled to his opinion.
That the aperture ring makes the possibilities of control look better than they are would be a better assessment.
Let's not forget that, no matter how talented, the gentleman is "only" a photographer, with his own dose of personal bias in favour of or against this or that, just like all of us.

DOF is not the only reason to need an aperture ring. Exposure and sharpness sweet spot are other reasons that come to mind.

But overall, it was a very positive review, especially compared to the GH3 review.

Yes, and that is why I have posted samples taken at various apertures with the ZS19 which clearly show that "wider is better" with - at least - that camera. The smaller apertures show greatly degraded detail, particularly in tight foliage where the "smearing" at small apertures is suspiciously like that usually attributed to "Noise Reduction".

Ming Thien may be only a photographer, but he is correct when he states:

......aperture ring – which is pointless on a compact because you have "zero" depth of field control at these kind of focal lengths anyway, regardless of the lens speed.

Of course ther is some minor DOF change, but it is overridden by the diffraction effects which is why I shoot in 'Aperture' mode, wide open with my TZ/ZS cameras.

I recently bought an LX7 to see what all the fuss is about, but I really haven't had a chance to properly put it through it's paces. I suspect that it, too, will perform better wide open - with the ND filter of course or it would overexpose in normal light.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow