Custom Brackets Mini-RC?

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
fotowbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166Gear list
Like?
Red eye and flash position
In reply to bravozulu, Mar 29, 2013

Any shift offsetting the flash tube (when shooting direct flash) from the lens axis does reduce the tendency for red eye.  With longer focal lengths 5 inches may not be enough.

Placing the flash above the lens axis works works best when you must use direct flash.  This results in the harsh direct flash shadow being cast behind the subject where it is less noticeable.

When shooting film a flip style flash bracket was almost essential for direct flash as it allowed this for both landscape and portrait orientation.  With digital and enough MP I now tend to shoot everything landscape (flash in hot shoe) and reformat in post.

• John 

bravozulu wrote:

I got one of these last month and love it. This is the paparazzi-style affair with a bend in it, allowing your right hand clearance between flash and camera so you can easily hit the shutter button when shooting vertical (portrait) ?

Someone asked me if that offset and separation from the lens axis eliminates redeye. And I couldn't tell him. The flash sits slightly forward and about 5 inches to the right of the camera. Does that shift prevent redeye?

fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow