Warning. Honest.

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,085Gear list
Like?
Re: Warning. Honest.
In reply to wireless, Mar 29, 2013

You will have a lot of useless (and SSD-destructive) overhead if you simply clone XP (or Win7) onto an SSD.    If you install Windows 7 from scratch onto SSD, the OS will recognize it as an SSD and set itself up very differently from how it configures for a spinning disk.   It uses a feature set called TRIM.   As far as I know, you cannot simply clone Win7 from a spinning disk to an SSD and get TRIM working properly.  (It would be very appealing if I could do that as I could then easily convert my main PC to SSD without reinstalling so much software).

I can guarantee you that the PC's I've built are much, much faster with an SSD boot drive, though the speed increase is entirely related to hard drive activity.  (Boot time on my laptop dropped from about 5 minutes to 20 seconds.   Another desktop is similar.)

SSD's are suspect long-term because they have limited write cycles.  Using TRIM means a lot less useless writes going on in the background that are used for optimizing spinning drive performance via caching and queuing.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow