Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Re: Supports or is...
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Mar 29, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

It says it supports SATA III [6Gbps]

Supports SATA III, or is SATA III?

You can say a device has SATA III support, even if it's got a SATA II port (as SATA III drives will work, but you're limited to SATA II bus speeds). 

I'd take a closer look at the laptop specs to find out if it's really a SATA III port or not

Your problem may not be related to drive speed anyway though (as the drivers and programs you're loading during bootup and startup may be using a lot of CPU resources slowing it down).   Sometimes startup processes are waiting for devices to initialize during a boot processing slowing it down, and sometimes you can find programs starting that are going online to check for updates.

IOW, may find you've got programs running that are looking for updates during bootup, too (AV software downloading new definitions, programs looking for updates to Adobe Flash Player, Java, etc.).   So, it may not be related to drive speed.

Also, even if it's SATA II versus SATA III, you'd still see read speeds approaching 300MB/Second for some block sizes (about twice as fast as you'd get with a physical hard drive), with many newer SSD models (of course, the exact drive you bought will make a difference in what you can expect to see for read speeds, as some SSDs are much faster than others).

But, since you're replacing a Hybrid Drive (versus a standard physical drive), you may not see much benefit during startup, as most of the startup programs and libraries may already be cached in the drive's flash memory section.   That's one of the benefits of using a Hybrid Drive.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

So what is the solution?

How can i know if my machine using SATA III or supporting SATA3 but not getting full access/speed of SATA3?

I said i did a clean install, i didn't install many software/programs yet, i also entered "msconfig" and i disabled many services or startup also disabled some performances and settings and did boot at minimal settings and nothing changed, so maybe my computer even it is i7 and saying it supports SATA3 but i am on SATA2 actually?

As i said before, i saw youtube videos with laptops that is i3/i5 or even core 2 duo with SSD and boots faster than mine or almost very closer to mine, so why i have i7 with 16GB and i can't have faster speed of SSD? My MBP mid 2009 which is on SATA2 only loading or booting faster than my PC laptop and my laptop i bought on 2010 or 2011 i think, so newer than my MBP 13" 2009 model.

Tareq Abdulla's gear list:Tareq Abdulla's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow