Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,871Gear list
Like?
Re: Some dumb questions I have been wondering about
In reply to Barrie Davis, Mar 29, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

jonikon wrote:

Years ago I read a well reasoned article on web that made a case for a maximum of 6 MP for small sensor camera. Based on my experience with P&S cameras, I believe this may be a bit conservative, but certainly not very far off. The P&S camera that gives me the best image quality and most accurate colors is the 6MP  Fujifilm F31FD. To this day there is no better tiny sensor for high ISOs.

I bought one of those for my daughter, and she still uses it with great pleasure... but are you saying it isn't hopelessly overtaken by more modern cameras (sensors)...

.... and that is still holding its own, even at high ISOs?

Yes, that is what I am saying.

This statement from Wikipedia helps support my contention as well.

"Image comparisons show that Fujifilm's sixth-generation, 6.3-megapixel Super CCD sensor (used on F10/F20/F30/F31 models) set the benchmark for low-noise, high ISO performance among point-and-shoot cameras and has not yet been matched by any of Fuji's higher megapixel Super CCD sensors to-date.

Also DPR did a test of a P&S, (can't remember which one now), not too long ago and stated in the review that the sensor in the Fujifiilm f31fd is still unmatched for high ISO image quality  in a small sensor camera.

Of course, unlike the F31fd, the new high MP P&S cameras of today have other technical advantages that help to improve low light performance, such as:

• in-lens image stabization
  • Larger aperture lenses
  • More capable image processors
  • Multiple exposure modes with in camera image stacking to reduce noise.
  • HDR modes

But I still like the skin tones in the F31fd JPEGs better than any other camera I have owned.

-Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow