Photoshop upgrade no longer possible

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,544Gear list
Like?
Re: Photoshop upgrade no longer possible
In reply to Larrycf, Mar 29, 2013

Larrycf wrote:

The confusion is part of their scam to get you to go to the cloud subscription. It is very difficult to find just the upgrade price on their website. I wasn't able to find it until you provided this link. You also can no longer buy a disk version anywhere. Try going to B&H photo or Adorama and search for an upgrade price...you won't find it. I, personally, am tired of Adobe's tactics. How long do you think it will be before you can only use Photoshop in the cloud? This is what they are pushing for. Microsoft has already done it with "Office". This is a bad idea because of several reasons. What if some hacker group decides they are going to do a "denial of service" attack on Adobe....no Photoshop. Or if you don't pay your cloud subscription....no Photoshop. It's like being a heroine addict. As long as you pay your "fix" fee you can still keep using Photoshop. You won't even be able to open your JPEGS unless you have some other software installed on your computer that will do it. I won't buy into this scam. I have CS5 but it will be the last time I will upgrade.

Get used to it, this is the way it is going. As I pointed out above this is the standard methodology for companies that produce software tools. The concept is good, the problem is the price. The PS upgrade which comes out every 18 months or so is $200. For the cloud option, 18x$30 is $540. It would be a lot more palatable if they were at $100/year like MSFT is with their products.

Regardless, I think we are going to see a lot more of this, the EDA tool companies (and many others) have already shown it to be a workable model.  But you do have other options like Corel, etc. if you don't like Adobe.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GimpNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow