Focus is on the wrong area with Speedlite..why?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ATfocus
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Focus is on the wrong area with Speedlite..why?
Mar 29, 2013

Hi guys,
I just had a shoot in a pretty dark room.. So I used my flash to lighten my subject. It fired the Assist Beam, focussed, and after the focus confirmation beep I pressed the shutter. However, when I reviewed my pics, i found that in some of my pictures, the focus was on a different location then where I focussed on. Which was the eyes every single time. I even checked my focus points and they were on the eyes in every pictures..

Here's an example..

This picture was taken with a Canon 5D mark III, with a Tamron 24-70 2.8 on 70mm, shutter 200.. About 2 meters away from the subject so that should give me enough depth of field. As you can see, the focus is on the brest area, and her face is soft. Single point AF, and I choose the outer cross point and then recomposed a little. Speedlite is an 430 EX II.

Can anybody tell me the reason for this? I dont get why the focus confirmation would make a sound while focussing on her eyes, and the focus isnt even on here face... I know the Mark III is known for hunting in low light..but this wasnt the case. I got focus quickly.. but it was just the wrong focus.

Thanks in advance guys!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow