B-b-b-b-banding!!!

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Fred Mueller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,346Gear list
Like?
Re: Cool...non issue then.....
In reply to Bailey151, Mar 29, 2013

If you do a lot of property photography like I do you might not dismiss heavy shadow lifting as a sign of "failure" in exposure choices.  And then by extension you quickly realize that it is current technology that is "failing" - not just in my narrow pursuit - but broadly.  Our cameras just can't translate a lot of what we see.

The Exmore class sensors has for me moved the decision about when to bracket (in order to contain the dynamic values of a shot) by a few stops, allowing for good results in situations where previous generations of sensors just could not hold as much range.  Remapping shadow detail upward is S.O.P. in post for this kind of work, where you are trying to maintain out of window views, and detail in light fixtures and also have the body of a room look natural ...

We are so ingrained in our experience of this basic long standing limitation in photography, that we dismiss a lot of what we see as "not good" for the making of a good photograph - which of course means we are conditioned to turn our backs on light when it is at its most explosive and spectacular in our natural environments ...

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D600
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow