How many use off-site/cloud based backup for their photo files?

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?
Re: How many use off-site/cloud based backup for their photo files?
In reply to Cyril Catt, Mar 29, 2013

Cyril Catt wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

Cyril Catt wrote:

The problem is not so much in the loading, but in the reliability of the internet and the cloud to store them at a reasonable, predetermined cost; return them quickly, cheaply, when wanted; and without distribution to unintended recipients worldwide.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

What? Your not publishing them. Besides, for Crashplan everything is encrypted before it leaves your computer and you can turn encryption so hard that you're the only one with a key. Not even Crashplan can make out what they are storing. Return can be over night on a disk. Cheaply, I think that's up to each and everyone to decide. If I loose all my data and computers and house etc. I don't consider $150 - $200 very expensive. It's more or less free. I also pretty sure I can my insurance to cover that. Especially if I were to run a business, in which case the running cost is most certainly a deductible expense.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Mikael, The idea is excellent, but having just lost 3 days' access to the www, apparently due to some fracas in the Netherlands, I am not willing to believe the internet will ensure continuous instant access. Also, living in Australia tends to compound the problem.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

I doubt you lost 3 days of internet access do to that incident. It was big but not that big. I can't say it registered much in US and I heard nothing from my family and friends back un Europe about an outage. Furthermore, this is not going to be your primary backup. It's what's called a Disaster Recovery plan. If everything else fails. So I don't understand why you would need continuos and instant access. That is is not a good argument here.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow