Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,125Gear list
Like?
Re: TG-2 sample shot at ISO 100 and my initial impression
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 29, 2013

Jefftan wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

With a milky sky like this, the contrast between the sky and the ground is huge.  The metering decided to sacrifice the sky - a good guess.

Did you have the "shadow adjust" enabled?  I can't tell from EXIF.  It can have an effect on the IQ.

Yes "shadow adjust" enabled

It could make shadows quite noisy.  I only enable it in super-high-contrast scenes, and only at base ISO.

HDR takes multiple shots, then processes them.  I found that TG-1 HDR is very susceptible to camera shake.  The only way I could get it to stay sharp is by bracing my hand against a solid object.  (In TG-1, HDR scene mode works in 5MP. Are you sure it's just 3MP in TG-2? That seems like a step backwards)

Yes I am quite sure at least in scene mode because I am quite shock that it is only at 3MP both HDR and handheld starlight.  I am not sure if Auto mode can do HDR or not and if so at what resolution

I just looked through the manual.  The only way to do in-camera HDR is through the scene mode.

Also, when the battery is low, the AF starts to faulter.  Focusing takes longer, and the percentage of keepers goes down.

I don't know that.  Thanks for the info. But focus take longer but still can focus? or can't lock focus at all?

It becomes less reliable.  Sometimes it focuses fine, sometimes it takes a little longer, sometimes you get blurry shots.

I have a similar experience with the TG-1 (and with TS-1). I think that has to do with the size and shape of the camera.  Just because it's so small and light, it's a harder to hold steady - and it also gives your muscles a hint "I'm a small solid thing, no need to pay attention how you hold me".  I found that I have to pay attention to proper handholding in order to avoid smearing.

I found the camera a bit too long for stable holding.  It seems the distance between the left and right side is a bit long so the middle has no support

That brought to my mind a picture of a rubbery camera, with a center hanging down

The 1/shutter speed rule is for SLRs.  Smaller body, different rules.  Try disabling IS and see how much harder it becomes to get sharp shots.

My understand is 1/equivalent focal length should be OK even if no stabilization which mean 1/25 in wide position

Whoops, you're right, the "rule" says that the shutter speed should be at least 1/equivalent focal length.  However, it's more of a hint than a rule.  Heavy, large cameras with moulded grips are easier to hold steady than small, large cameras without grips.

I certainly found that paying attention to handholding technique imroves the number of sharp shots.

If you have a chance, try disabling IS and see what happens.

Yes, AFAIK it will take a shot even if it couldn't lock focus.

That't the problem. My E-PL1 has as option shutter won't fire if can't lock focus

Did you have the "wind noise reduction" enabled?  Also, did you hear the fast click-click-clicking noise from the camera's AF (one of my main problems with TG-1)?

yes wind noise reduction enabled.  I have put the video on youtube.  Check it out yourself. I can't hear any click-click-click sound only wind noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po-2zOXiSTk

Yup, no clicking.  Perhaps they fixed it.  With my camera, it started perhaps a week after I bought it, and it's not always there.  Also, it seems to get worse when the battery is not at full charge.  In this clip, the clicking only starts when the diver makes the jump:

http://youtu.be/-FtfTMK6AD8

o I switched to the TS-1.  It was overcast and fairly dark (we were paddling through a fairly narrow canyon with lots of dark foliage).  The TS-1's shots were horrible.  Blown out sky, lots of motion smearing, digital noise, etc.  My point is - don't compare the best you've gotten from the TS-1 against the first attempts with the TG-2.  The TG-2 is very capable, but it takes time to learn its limitations.

TS1 is a very good ISO 100 camera in my opinion.  May I ask what tips have you learn from using TG-1? TG-2 and TG-1 basically the same

Well, some of my "secrets of trade" don't apply to the TG-2, because the TG-2 fixes one major limitation of TG-1 by providing direct control over the aperture.  Also, I take stills at 5MP (can't do that in TG-2).  I just don't see enough of a difference between the 12MP shots and upsampled 5MP shots.

Tips?

Like I said above, steady handholding technique is very important.  I make it a point to hold the camera steady for a second *after* I press the shutter button.

Always watch your shutter speed.  The Auto ISO tries to keep it at or above 1/30 or so, the "High ISO" keeps it at 1/250 or so.  If you want faster shutter speed to capture action, you have to set the aperture (and, in lower light, ISO) manually.

In high contrast situations, you need to compensate.  For nearby objects, especially people, fill flash works well.  For far away objects, you can try enabling "shadow adjust" (but only at low ISOs).

In fact, when I was shooting with TS-1 in broad daylight, my flash was pretty much always on.  With TG-1, it's not so clear-cut - I think it has a bit more DR.

If you're having problems focusing, try "Underwater snapshot 2" - it sets the lens to hyperfocal distance, so everything from a few feet to infinity is in focus.

The "Magic" modes are a lot of fun (but never, ever, look at the results at 100%.  This is the equivalent of shining a light into a can of tea atop of a campfire.  You won't learn anything useful and won't be able to drink the tea afterwards).

Boris

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow