Thinking of swapping from MFT to full DSLR - Advice?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
alex2b
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
Re: Thinking of swapping from MFT to full DSLR - Advice?
In reply to Joe Pineapples, Mar 29, 2013

Joe Pineapples wrote:

alex2b wrote:

Joe Pineapples wrote:

It's a bigger 'ole; it collects more light.  What more is there to understand?

Joe

This:

The amount of light projected on the m43 sensor is exactly the same as the amount of light projected on the full frame sensor, when both are using an f/2.8 lens.The Canon lens would only gather more unused light, when mounted on an m43 camera.

[snip]

Both lenses are f/2.8, so they give the same exposure, i.e. surface brightness on the sensor, yes? Same amount of light per unit area, agreed?  The "amount of light projected on the full frame sensor" = the amount of light per unit area (same for both sensors) x the area of the sensor (greater for the FF sensor). So the "amount of light projected on the full frame sensor" is greater, not the same.  Why does the lens collect more light? Because it's a bigger 'ole etc... (see above).

I've no interest in discussing holes further. If you want the long, detailed version it's here:

http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/index.htm

Joe

Your formula is so unscientific that I agree we should not discuss this any further.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,

Alex

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow