Red River Metallic Paper is Amazing

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,233Gear list
Like?
Re: It's K3 compatible...
In reply to SoCal Dave, Mar 29, 2013

SoCal Dave wrote:

I find the RR Metallic is excellent with an Epson 4900 pigment ink printer - for the right subjects.  I have a series on display right now that are all photos of European monuments/cathedrals which have the common theme of lots of gold leaf.  The metallic paper makes the gold leaf pop like, well, metal.  Much more so than on standard gloss or lustre.  Also good for cars.

Dave

I have to agree, having not experienced what some of the others have been saying about this paper and pigment inks.  I don't know, maybe the dyes look even better.  But I wouldn't say my pigment prints look bad or average.  In fact, I think they have come out quite excellent on this paper.  If the dye printers improve even upon that, great.  But I wouldn't avoid this paper if you have a pigment printer.

I've been using the RR Polar Metallic with my Epson R2000 with some great results, and it is definitely noticeable over regular glossy paper types.  I have been successful in getting that 3D look people like about the metallic paper. Of course, the results you get are very subject dependent and there are some shots that just don't work very well with it.  I prefer landscapes, architecture, flowers, and metallic subjects when using it.  Portraits, there are a few the might work, but I tend to lean more towards using my Arctic Polar Luster paper for those.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow