Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,050Gear list
Like?
Re: What I learned from Gollywop -- and what I wonder
In reply to bowportes, Mar 29, 2013

bowportes wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Good work! My advice based on the pattern would be pretty much GH2-like: Stick to the 160, 320, 640, 1250 series. The pattern suggests that the ISOs between these are based on digital scaling like on the GH2 (though other types of test shots would be needed to confirm that such is the case) or some secondary amplification that doesn't reduce read noise. Inbetween the four ISOs in the series I gave you, the read noise (as measured in electrons) is pretty much constant. The only difference compared to the GH2 appears to be that they have added at least one more real ISO (1250). Beyond 1250, not much happens that makes it worthwhile to go higher.

This has been interesting, Anders. I'm wondering, based upon changes of slope in the graph, why you don't conclude that a real ISO of 2500 has also been added, since the same pattern of an increase in slope occurs at that ISO as well.  (You can see it beter in this image.)

I don't at all exclude the possibility of analog amplification continuing up to 2500. It's merely that any additional improvement in read noise beyond 1250 is so slight that it isn't really worth going any further anyway.

It's convenient on the G5 that when you set the menu to display all ISOs, the ISOs across the top row in succession are: 160, 320, 640, 1250, 2500, etc.  So you move immediately from one "real ISO" to the next, without have to scroll through the others (200, 250, 400, 500, 800, 1000, etc.). I wonder if this was by design.

Neat. It makes a lot of sense that they designed the UI in this way given what they know is going on under the hood.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow