Hard drive failure

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,130Gear list
Like?
100% chance of failure
In reply to str8pipe, Mar 29, 2013

str8pipe wrote:

I have a hard drive that is rarely accessed in my computer, it's main use is storage. I would like to know what are the chance of failure?

100%

There's no such thing as a hard drive that will never fail. They all will fail eventually. How long does it take? I wouldn't trust a spinner (regular rotating hard disk drive) over 5-years old and SSDs (solid state drives) are actually rated by MTF (mean time to failure) with the better ones at 5-years. Having said this, I still have spinners over 7-years that have not yet failed, but I won't kid myself into thinking that they will be around much longer.

So, what should you do? Back up your main and storage drives onto a different drive. I have 3 internal spinners and an internal SSD plus an external spinner. I use the SSD for a boot/program drive and a 2-TB spinner for data. Then I use the other drives for data backups and drive image backups. You also might consider an optical drive so that you can back your data separately to DVDs or Blu-Ray disks.

I strongly suggest that you get Macrium Reflect (free download) or something as good to do all your backups. Don't wait till it's too late.

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow