Hard drive failure

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
soloryb
Contributing MemberPosts: 825
Like?
100% chance of failure
In reply to str8pipe, Mar 29, 2013

str8pipe wrote:

I have a hard drive that is rarely accessed in my computer, it's main use is storage. I would like to know what are the chance of failure?

100%

There's no such thing as a hard drive that will never fail. They all will fail eventually. How long does it take? I wouldn't trust a spinner (regular rotating hard disk drive) over 5-years old and SSDs (solid state drives) are actually rated by MTF (mean time to failure) with the better ones at 5-years. Having said this, I still have spinners over 7-years that have not yet failed, but I won't kid myself into thinking that they will be around much longer.

So, what should you do? Back up your main and storage drives onto a different drive. I have 3 internal spinners and an internal SSD plus an external spinner. I use the SSD for a boot/program drive and a 2-TB spinner for data. Then I use the other drives for data backups and drive image backups. You also might consider an optical drive so that you can back your data separately to DVDs or Blu-Ray disks.

I strongly suggest that you get Macrium Reflect (free download) or something as good to do all your backups. Don't wait till it's too late.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow