Warning. Honest.

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Skroob
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
Re: Warning. Honest.
In reply to Steve Bingham, Mar 29, 2013

Steve Bingham wrote:

For whatever reason many photography users store their photos on their computer. Maybe 99.99%.

The problem is, far too few back up their files (photographs). This is a disaster waiting to happen. I use software by Acronis and back up my work every week - automatically - to an external hard drive. Using the cloud is another alternative - and some use both.

Two days ago my data hard drive crashed - big time!!!! Thousands of priceless photographs (to me, anyway) were wiped out. Thousands of hours of hard labor (editing and PP) possibly lost . . . but for my backup.

So I bought a new HD and simply transferred by backup files. One click and off to dinner!

Take head folks. Hard drives will fail sometime - all hard drives. CD's fail in time also. Usually by bits and pieces - even the "gold" ones.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

I'll go one better:

Say you go and put all your images on a backup drive. all good, right? Well, say a distaster comes along, or even a theif who cleans you out. Now your PC and your backup drive are gone.

What i do is back up all my stuff on to a second drive, then i take that drive and store it "off site", like at my office, or at a friends house. Every month or so, when when you build up some new photos, bring the drive home with you one day, add the newer images, then return it the next day.

I do not wish to use cloud services. I dont want my files on somebody elses server. Plus, what if they just shut down one day? they are gone anyway.

Skroob's gear list:Skroob's gear list
Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow