a99 HOT SHOE does not FIT Radio Trigger and Flashes

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Clyde Thomas
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?
Re: Clyde, TTL Flash systems
In reply to Hawaii-geek, Mar 29, 2013

Hawaii-geek wrote:

SONY needs to listen to  USER Feedback more.  and set up ways to do it.

Believe it or not, I think that's part of the problem with Sony.  They think they are listening to users.  But unfortunately, the wrong ones.

Point 1:  They're listening to Canon users, not their own.  When a Canon user is shown a Sony, for the first time, they look at the hot shoe and immediately say "My Pocket Wizards won't fit that".  Sony changed the shoe in order to overcome the first round of immediate rejections from potential converts.  But my experience, working side by side with CaNikon shooters, is that once they understand the one click benefits of iISO, they come to see its advancement over standard ISO very quickly.  Even more so when they discover numerous other slaves are available native iISO.

Now imagine their shock, having converted, only to discover the Sony flash system is not standard at all, and a true system doesn't exist, and probably won't for quite a while.

Point 2:  And this is very important, even when Sony thinks they listen (like on the camera diner live video Q&A), they are listening to the wrong users.

It was proven in 1999 that one Grand Master Chess Player, Kasparov versus the World beat the plurality vote of over 50,000 players from 75 countries.  And the crowd even had numerous chess stars on their team.    Kasparov beat them in 64 moves.

I know Sony has attempted to assemble some type of Pro Shooter circle (I forget the name), but not one of these togs I've seen is a strobist.  I'd be more impressed if Sony were to consult strobist professionals who've used iISO for decades.  Then discuss the best route to improving iISO, rather than abandoning it.  I don't think one Sony strobist would have said they wanted the current platform.  And I don't think one Sony videographer would have requested extra brackets for the XLR, on both the SLT's and the VG cameras.

Consult the strobists for anything flash.  Consult the landscapers for anything landscape.  Consult the wildlife togs for anything wildlife.  Consult the sports togs for anything sports...

But whatever you do Sony, stop consulting game makers for camera design.

-- hide signature --

Here to help. Here to learn.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow